Scones They are my weakness, I admit it. Before this pandemic turned our lives around, I used to go once a week to a bakery in my city for a snack of their scones. There they are made in a classic way and served with butter and jams. Today, however, I propose a slightly different version of carrot and chocolate.
The carrot is always an ingredient to take into account when preparing sweet recipes, so I did not hesitate to try these carrot and chocolate scones. You can do without chocolate or substitute it with dates or chopped prunes, for example. Dare to make small changes!
They are very easy; doing them will be a breeze. You don't need a lot of experience in the kitchen to make these chocolate carrot scones come to fruition. In fact, excess kneading to achieve a smooth and perfect dough is what can "spoil" the dough. Do you dare to prepare them?
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons of panela
- 90 g. very cold butter, diced
- 1 egg L
- ½ cup of grated carrot
- Some chocolate chips
- We preheat the oven to 220 ° C and line a tray with parchment paper or a silicone sheet.
- In a bowl we sift the flour and we mix it with the baking powder, the salt, the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the ginger and the brown sugar.
- Now, add the butter to the bowl and either with the help of a stirrup or by pinching the mixture with the tips of the fingers, we mix all the ingredients until we get a sandy mixture. Don't knead, just pinch, so the temperature of the mixture doesn't rise.
- We now add the chocolate chips and mix lightly.
- In conclusion, we mix the egg with the grated carrot in a bowl and add them to the dough. Mix until the dry ingredients have absorbed the moisture. Do not knead, the dough should be lumpy and brittle.
- We put the dough on a floured surface, sprinkle a little flour over it and with our hands we press to give it a disk shape about 18-20 centimeters in diameter.
- With a knife we cut the dough into 8 triangles and we transfer these to the baking tray.
- Bake 16 minutes or until they start to brown. Once browned, remove from the oven and place them on a rack to finish cooling.