Meatballs are not a regular part of my weekly menu and yet I really enjoy them. The meatballs to the planter are undoubtedly my favorites but it is not uncommon that in order to fit in my pantry I cook other versions like this one of Chicken meatballs in a carrot and leek sauce.
Chicken ones are a great alternative to beef ones. Its flavor is milder than the latter, but combined with a vegetable sauce they become not only a very tasty dish, but also healthy. Not wanting to try it?
You can complete your menu incorporating a cup of cooked rice with the sauce or also serving a good salad of fruits and vegetables. These meatballs can also be frozen, so it never hurts to make a few more to eat well on those days when you don't feel like cooking.
- 400 g. minced chicken meat
- ½ onion, very chopped
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- A piece of bread crumbs soaked in milk and drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley
- Flour for coating
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 3 leeks, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth or water
- We prepare the sauce. To do this, heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion, pepper, leek and carrot in it for 10-12 minutes.
- Then, season with salt and pepper, add the fried tomato and paprika and mix.
- Finally, we pour a cup of vegetable broth or water, cover and cook for 15 minutes and then blend. If the sauce is too fat, you will only have to add more water or broth.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the meatballs by mixing all the ingredients except for the flour and olive oil.
- Once well mixed, we take small portions of dough and shape them into a meatball.
- Next, we pass the meatballs in flour and fry them in batches in hot oil until they are well browned.
- As they brown, we place them in the sauce that by now will be crushed. In the boiling sauce where cooking 3 minutes will finish.
- We serve the chicken meatballs in a warm carrot and leek sauce.